3.22.2009

Orange-ya glad I didn't say banana?

On a recent trip to my local mega-wholesaler, I came across Cara Cara Navel Oranges. I really didn't care anything about them accept that they were $7.99 for a bag of 12 and they were, more importantly, seedless.

We had given up on oranges here in my household. They've become so expensive, flavorless, and brimming with seeds. Seeds are not a good companion to a 4 and 8 year-old. So I lugged my beautiful orange globes home, peeled one open, and took a bite. I think I actually heard bells ringing around me. Ohh, it was seedless, beautifully seedless, easy to peel, ruby-pink on the inside, low in acidity, and delicious.

I ended up taking 3 peeled Cara Cara's on a recent and unexpected all-adult road trip. We all devoured them, wanting more. Our sticky fingers were a driving and riding complication. I usually don't go anywhere without the baby wipes. Having kids does this to a person. Now, everyone making fun of me for my baby-wipe-toting ways in the past, were cowering in needful wanting for something moist to excavate their hands of orange debris. Now who's laughing...?

I actually went back to the store the next day and bought them all a bag of Cara Cara's with a travel-size package of baby wipes. Really this "thoughtfullness" on my part was more so that they would eat their own and not mine.











Our family went through 8 oranges in less than 3 days. We're going to have to start up CCNOA (Cara Cara Navel Oranges Anonymous...I feel like Rachel Ray right now- why have an abbreviation for something if you're going to explain it?). Apparently these are only in season till the end of March, so I hope everyone can find and enjoy them before they're gone until winter. Here's a link to some info on these navel oranges. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so lucky that I was one of the ones that received these tasty oranges. Thanks for sharing!