8.11.2009

Other People's Food

Just thought I'd write a quick post to let you know that I cooked for most of the day today and made some really great things by other people (mostly Cooking Light): Chicken Souvlaki by Cooking Light, Brownies by Saveur, Basil-Lime Sorbet by Cooking Light, and Homemade Basil Pesto by me. Can you tell my basil needed to be used? Yes... I'm aware that making things from Cooking Light doesn't balance out the brownies :(

Here's the adjustments I made to the Souvlaki: I didn't use pita, not because I didn't want to, because mine had freezer burn. I also used fat-free feta, fat-free plain yogurt, and half the amount of the dill (using dried) for the sauce. I also seasoned my raw chicken with the ingredients listed, using fresh garlic, and roasted it in the oven at 425 for 20 minutes on top of the called-for onions. That's it. No pic for this one...we ate it and I forgot.



For the Brownies: I left out the espresso beans it called for and the espresso, as these were mainly for my children and I really didn't feel like padding the walls so that the caffeine could allow for spastic bouncing. This picture isn't pretty, but when it comes to brownies with frosting who really cares?!


Basil-Lime Sorbet: I made it according to their directions. My sister-in-law and I were deliciously happy when all the kids decided they hated it! Yippeeeee!

Don't you just love a good label maker?! It makes me feel way more "Martha" than I really am.

Homemade Basil Pesto:
Yield: 1 quart

4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
4-6 garlic cloves
1-2 tsp. salt, depending on taste and saltiness of the cheese
1 tsp. ground pepper
1/2-1 cup olive oil, depending on how thin or thick you like your pesto
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts

Puree all the ingredients together until smooth. Separate out into 1-cup portions in freezer-safe containers and freeze for up to one year. Thaw in the frig overnight.


Don't worry, I'll be posting the Pancake recipe later this week!

No comments: