3.11.2012

latin market

















I finally made it to the Latin/Asian market on Winchester yesterday. I've been hearing about it for years. It's about an hour away from me but we were at a birthday party even further away and happened-upon the market on our way home.

On vacations, I go to local markets and groceries like someone would go to a museum. I could have stayed for hours. I picked up a totally unripe guava, beautiful and cheap avocados, jalapenos, raw sugar, a chuck roast, golden mangoes, and a stack of freshly made corn tortillas.
Original
This morning I sauteed black beans, onion, garlic, and a can of Mexican corn. That was layered with the corn tortillas, 2 fried eggs, salsa, cheddar cheese, cilantro, and a splash of hot sauce. HEAVEN! There is just something about that combination that makes me feel so good. It definitely reminds me of Sofio's in Telluride 15 years ago, which is now closed. Check out my version of Huevos Rancheros below.

Latin-Inspired Huevos
Yield: 8 servings

16 fresh corn tortillas, heated

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small can (about 1 cup) mexi-corn
1/4 cup diced onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. coconut oil

16 eggs, cooked your way (fried, poached, scrambled, etc.)

8 tbsp. salsa
4 tbsp. chopped cilantro

Saute the beans, onion, corn, and garlic in the coconut oil. Layer one tortilla on the plate and top with about 1/4 cup of the bean mixture. Top with another corn tortilla. Top that with another 1/4 cup of the bean mixture and 2 cooked eggs. Top that with salsa, cheese, and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Pin It

No comments: