4.28.2012














I am in love with coconut water.  I know there are varying degrees of quality and you have to be careful, but I really love the hydrating quality of it that allows for bypassing those sugar-filled, candy-bar drinks like Gatorade and Powerade.  I don't like coconut water on its own.  I prefer it naturally flavored with something.

Recently I was able to experience Field Day at my girls school and had about 30 minutes before I had to pick them up while they were at piano practice at the end of the day.  I ran to the store and found a drink by Aura.  They had two flavors and I chose the rosemary-cucumber-lemon.  It was delicious.  Perfect, in fact.  I knew I could duplicate this at home.  The Aura brand didn't have coconut water in it, but that didn't mean I couldn't use it for mine.

I really am loving this drink.  It's so refreshing!  I can't way to try it with some Hendricks Gin!

Cucumber-Rosemary-Lemon Cooler
(click on the recipe title for printer-friendly)
Yield: almost 1 quart

1 large cucumber (ends removed and sliced for garnish)
One 5-inch sprig of fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
1/4 tsp. turmeric
3/4-1 cup granulated splenda or sugar (or 1/2-3/4 cup agave)
2 cups apple juice
7 large lemons (6 juiced and 1 sliced for garnish)
2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut water/juice
2 cups seltzer water

Puree everything, except the seltzer water, in a blender and strain into a pitcher.  Stir in the seltzer water and serve with ice and garnishes.

No comments: