4.22.2009

I'm Sick of Ham



We had a ton of leftover roasted chicken breasts yesterday at church. Chicken salad came to mind. I'm done with ham for a while. I feel like Bubba in Forrest Gump describing everything I've done with my leftover Easter ham: ham salad, ham casserole, ham sandwiches, ham soup, ham gumbo, ham kabobs....

My boss usually makes her...rephrase that, makes us (her staff) make chicken salad with pureed chicken (nastiness), halved grapes, celery, mayo, dry ranch dressing mix, and sour cream. It's wildly popular but we are so sick of it that gagging in front of the 60 gallon boiling pot of raw chicken and its alien-yellow gathering foam, has me reeling in head-swaying acts of refusal. I've been trying to ween her off this for years and finally had my shot.

They always think that I "froo-froo-itize" things. If not whirring steaming hot chicken breasts in a robot coupe (industrial food processor) is considered froo-froo, than that's just fine with me cuz my name ain't Bubba (this is said in your best Forrest Gump accent). "Run, For-rest, run!"



Froo-Froo Chicken Salad
Yield: 4 cups

6 bone-in chicken breasts
1 cup good quality mayonnaise
4 green onions, chopped
4 celery ribs, minced
2 large cans mandarin oranges, drained
1 cup toasted almonds (slivered or sliced)
2 Tbsp. Dijon or grain mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste

Season the chicken with salt and pepper and roast in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes or until cooked through. Cool the chicken, pick the meat off the bones, and chop into 1/2-inch chunks. In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and Dijon. Add the celery, green onions, mandarin oranges, and almonds to the chicken and add some of the mayo-Dijon mix according to how saucy you like it. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: