5.05.2009

Pound "Crack"



After an insanely busy week working/cooking, you'd think I wouldn't want to step foot in a kitchen, but I guess I was wanting to cook for me. I decided I would bake a pound cake layered with sweetened strawberries and cream cheese whipped cream. A shortcake of sorts.


Since I can't cook "small" anymore (after 5 years of cooking for thousands, it's hard to cook for under 100), I made two batches: one batch made 24 muffin-size pound cakes and the other batch made 3 small bundt cakes. One bundt would be for dessert at home tonight and 2 bundts claimed space in the freezer for teacher appreciation day next week. The muffin-sized cakes are in the freezer too, for a last minute dinner party dessert or a whoops-look-what-fell-out-of-the-freezer-and-into-my-mouth treat.


I used a friends pound cake recipe but changed it a bit with some Jiffy Cornbread mix. I wish I had had my camera when she took a bite, her eyebrows curved in uncertainty, and I told her the part about using Jiffy in her already divine pound"crack" recipe. I'm calling it pound"crack" because it's so addictive....and no, I've never used crack...it's just an adage people. I'm guessing she thought it was pretty good since we almost (notice I said "we") attacked the one I had saved for someone else. I wonder if it will still be there tomorrow?
Lemon Cornmeal Pound-Short Cake
Yield: 1 large bundt, 12 muffin-size, or 2 small bundts
For the cake:
3 sticks unsalted butter
8 ounces cream cheese
3 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. lemon extract (or 2 tsp. lemon zest)
3 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup Jiffy cornbread mix
For the strawberries:
2 pints sliced strawberries, stems removed
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. water
For the Cream Cheese Whipped Cream: (a version of the Easter Strawberry Cream Cake)
4 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease or spray your pan/pans. Beat the butter and cream cheese for the cakes until light in color. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the flour and Jiffy until combined. Pour into desired pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. While the cakes bake, mix the sliced strawberries, sugar, and water together and set aside. Whip together the cream cheese and sugar for the whipped cream filling. Add the heavy cream, slowly. Whip the heavy cream-cream cheese-sugar mixture until fluffy and whipped like whipped cream. Let the cake/cakes cool completely and slice in half horizontally. Layer with the strawberries then the cream then the second cake layer. Top with the cream and then the strawberries.
Note: this cake may be made without the Jiffy by replacing it with all-purpose flour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

still think Lisa would not have noticed if we ate it!
Yumminess!!!
Jennifer

Ziggy Stardust said...

My God that sounds incredible! My husband is a diabetic, but I think I could make a few changes and make it work. I am going to try it tomorrow.

Thanks Anne