2.24.2012

The Cookie












This past year I have been obsessed with cookies. I've taken pictures and edited recipes, only to be swept away with the busyness of 2011. I've had every intention of starting a side blog, "My Year with Cookies." Whole wheat has been my flour ingredient of choice. The problem has been trying to make them "healthy" by using applesauce or a sugar substitute. Well, if I'm going to eat it, I want it to taste good, so screw the completely healthy part of it all. I've stuck with the butter and sugar, while using whole wheat flour. These cookies aren't tough balls of grit, but look like regular chocolate chip cookies that spread beautifully and magically in the oven. I jumped for joy when they started to goo and melt like that Nestle Tollhouse commercial. So, while you won't save any calories or fat on this recipe, you will not sacrifice taste or texture either, but you will gain a bit of whole grain in the process.

~check this out...summer is around the corner, can you believe it?!

~new blog i found.

~i wish they lived next door & they gave photography lessons.


Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
click the recipe title to print

Yield: 24

14 Tbsp. salted butter, room temp
1 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup organic sugar*
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sea salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350. Beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Mix in the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips until just blended. Using a small icecream scoop (2Tbsp.), place balls of the cookie dough on a parchment lined baking sheet about 2-3 inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Do not overcook. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes. *I prefer the crystal size of the organic sugar but regular white sugar works fine.

No comments: