6.19.2011

MIGAS HUEVOS CON EL PAPA














Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there, including my hubbie and my own Daddy! I love you guys more each day and we are blessed more in our lives because of you.

As part of Kevin's Father's Day weekend, we went on a "day date" yesterday. Originally we were going to go see "The Hangover Two" and eat lunch, but he decided (thankfully...although I really want to see that movie) that we wouldn't really get to spend any time together and would waste our good, hard-earned babysitting time. He decided he wanted to shop instead. I know! I am married to the only man who enjoys shopping. We at lunch at Range USA. Yes, it's a shooting range. What can I say about that? We went in to get a gift card for Kevin's dad for his father's day and birthday gift and ended up eating a really great Reuben too. Who knew?! I've never had a Reuben served to me, or any thing else for that matter, by a waitress toting a gun on her side. I'll let you keep that picture in your head for a bit....

This morning this girls gave him a gift of 3 pounds of coffee from one of his favorite coffee roasters, Blue Moose Coffee. We stumbled on this roaster after he made a one-time special blend for a Swedish coffee we bought from igourmet. He also got a river trip a few weekends ago and a Camelbak for biking.

This morning, after a couple americano's, I made breakfast. I'm going to call it Migas Huevos Rancheros. This is a cross between a traditional huevos rancheros we had at Franciscas in Cortez, CO. and the Miga's at Surrey's in NOLA. I could eat this every morning for breakfast or for brunch....maybe this will go on the brunch menu for my Restaurant Iris appearance?!

Migas Huevos Rancheros
Yield: 6 servings

6 eggs
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1/3 cup minced red onion
1/3 cup minced poblano
3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 can low sodium black beans, drained & rinsed
3 Tbsp. good quality salsa (more for garnish, optional)
1 cup crunchy tortilla strips (found in the salad dressing aisle with the croutons)
1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
Salt & pepper, to taste
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or feta
Sliced pickled jalapenos, garnish (optional)

Saute the red onion, poblano, and bacon in the coconut oil until the bacon is cooked and the veggies are tender. Add the beans and season with salt and pepper, cooking until heated. Add the salsa and stir to combine over low heat. Take off the heat and stir in the cheese, cilantro, and tortilla strips. In a small non-stick pan, cook two eggs to order for each person or just scramble them all and serve on top. Garnish with the pickled jalapenos and more salsa, if desired.

No comments: